All parks are open 7 am to dusk
This park features a small baseball field, tennis court, large picnic shelter, and the historic Hale Pass Improvement Club building (currently closed for renovation).
Description: Hales Pass Park is on a 4-acre site that includes a building originally constructed in 1938, a picnic shelter, a small baseball field, and 2 outdoor tennis courts. In the past, the building located at the site has served as a small schoolhouse. This park and building have also been used for recreational camps, classes, and activities. Many community organizations use the building located on the site as a gathering and meeting place.
The building located on the site is currently closed for renovations. To learn more about the updates to this facility, click here.
Dogs on Leash, Trails, Unmarked Forest Pathways
Baseball Field, Tennis Court
Buildings & Venues
Two Room Schoolhouse/Hall, Large Outdoor Pavilion, Sanicans on Site
In 1950 the Horsehead Bay Community Club and another group consolidated to form the Hales Pass Improvement Club. In 1959, after the 1938 WPA building was no longer needed as a public school, the Club purchased the property along with the 1940 WPA picnic shelter to serve the community as a civic and recreation center.
The site covers over 4 acres including a ball field, picnic shelter, tennis courts, forest land, and the community hall.
In 1970/71 the Hales Pass Improvement Club donated the property to Pierce County to serve as a park. Pierce County Parks managed the property until 2010 when the park was transferred to PenMet Parks which now owns, operates, and maintains the park for the public to enjoy.
The hall has continued to serve as a school under several organizations, and Eagle Scout projects have created trails and provided amenities for the park.
(Will require updating for dedication after improvements made)